Monday, August 10, 2009

chicago: chapter one

Hi All!

My first post, how exciting! I decided to start this blog because I really wanted to share and keep track of my experiences that this upcoming year will hold. I recently relocated to Chicago from Athens,Ohio where I finished my undergraduate degree. After a brief stint at home, I packed up my things and headed to the windy city. I have been here for a little over a week, and have already fallen in love with this city. There is a certain energy, a vibrancy that i have not seen in any other place i have ever visited. Now i get to call this place home. With great anticipation and some admitted nervousness, I start a new chapter in my life. This chapter is most well marked by my upcoming commitment to a year of service through City Year.

City Year is a ten month Americorps program that seeks to give aid to under served populations in the Chicago area. "City Year unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service, giving them the skills and opportunities to change the world.
As tutors, mentors, and role models, these leaders make a difference in the lives of children, and transform schools and neighborhoods across the United States and in South Africa.By giving corps members the skills and opportunities to serve in schools and neighborhoods across the country, City Year seeks to:

Help children succeed
Build stronger communities
Break down social barriers
Develop young leaders
Foster active citizenship"
cityyear.org


My service year will be both an exciting and intense year, with as many rewards as I am sure there will be challenges. I am anxious and enthusiastic about the experiences of the upcoming year, the friends I will make, the kids I will serve, the knowledge I will gain, the growth I hope for. As I prepare myself both mentally and emotionally, I grow even more excited for the road ahead. At the same time, I find myself asking so many questions. What will my kids be like, where will I serve, how can I do my absolute best, how can I reach these kids?

I wanted to start this blog to document my experiences in the corps, and my new life in Chicago.

Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profundity.
Kindness in giving creates love.
~Lao- Tse

Big hugs and love to you all,

Kara

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited for you, Kara Sue! Please keep me updated as you set forth on this wonderful adventure, whether on the phone or on here. I'm now following you too :)

    ReplyDelete